Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chocolate Mug Cake

Ethan and I will be moving into our apartment in December after we get married on the 15th (Yay!) so I have been slowly collecting recipes that I can make for both of us. For Christmas last year, one of the gifts I received was a cute recipe box -- what more of a reason do I need to fill it with delicious recipes that I will (hopefully) one day try out! While browsing on Pinterest for said recipes, I came across a blog that had several single-serving "mug" recipes. French toast, apple crisp, chocolate chip cookie, and get this... molten brownie! Needless to say, I copy and pasted every one of the them to put in my box. 

Today I tried out the chocolate cake recipe. Although it needs a couple of modifications in my opinion, there is potential. 


IMAG0286.jpg

Chocolate Mug Cake



INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
3 tablespoons spelt flour (or white, or even peanut flour)
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (pr evaporated cane juice)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 stevia packet (or 1 tablespoon more sugar)
2-3 tsp coconut oil or vegetable oil (sub applesauce or mashed banana)
3 tablespoons milk of choice 
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. Microwave 30-40 seconds. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for it to cool before trying to remove it).

NUTRITIONAL FACTS
Calories: 205 with oil (or 140 without)
Fat: 12g with oil (or 2g without)
Carbs: 30g
Fiber: 6.5g
Protein: 5.5g
ww points (new system): 6 (or 4 without oil)


A couple of personal notes:

I used banana instead of oil for a "healthier" alternative. (Only 140 calories without the oil! -- but... you may want to stick with the oil.) The banana taste is definitely prevalent. If you think you can handle the banana taste and texture, more power to ya, just make sure you mix it VERY well.
I also used whole wheat flour. This may affect the taste as well. 
Also, I had to microwave it for 30 more seconds after the 40 seconds, so you may need more heating. Try thirty second intervals until you think it's the right consistency. 

Overall, this recipe will need some trial and error attempts, but eventually I think could be a winner in my book (or box).

No comments:

Post a Comment